These helpful DON’TS are handy if you are new to septic tank systems..
- Fats, oils or heavy grease should not be poured down the drain that flows in your tank system
- Paints, solvents and motor oils should not be put down the drain leading to your septic tank
- Never dispose of garden chemicals and pesticides into the septic tank
- Don’t use the toilet or kitchen sink as a rubbish bin
- Don’t empty chemical toilets into drains or septic tanks
- Nappies, sanitary items, plastic or similar items should not be disposed of into the system – “bag it and bin it” instead
- Don’t dig or drive over the drainage field, or cover it with a hard surface
- Don’t block air vents
- Don’t desludge septic tank or emptying your tank system too often as some bacteria is good bacteria
- Don’t allow effluent to collect on the surface of the ground
- Don’t enter a septic tank – dangerous gases are produced by the natural treatment process
For any further information or advice on your septic tank system please cal us on 0800 61 22 515.