These helpful DO’S are handy if you are new to septic tank systems..
- Have your septic tank system professionally fitted, following local guidelines and regulations & legislation.
- Put all your waste water from your home or premises into the system.
- Know where your septic tank and drainage field (soak away) are located on your property or premises.
- Have your system inspected regularly to avoid any unnecessary surprises or septic tank problems,
- Desludge the tank when necessary, we advise to have your septic tank empty once per year depending on usage.
- Act immediately if you find a blockage or any sign of a problem, our we can help.
- Keep note of any septic tank manufacturers,details including model number and septic tank size to hand, this is always useful for septic tank servicing and septic tank emptying.
- Ensure all manhole covers are accessible, we normally advice we need access within 30 metres of the manhole of the septic tank needs emptying.
- Ensure that any air vents are not blocked.
- Keep the drainage field protected and avoid any objects or vehicles driving over or parking on.
- Make sure all other sources of water, like gutters & drain pipes away from septic tank system.
- Wash dishes in a dishwasher whenever possible (fat is converted into soap in a dishwasher).
- Use toilet fresheners, mild detergents, fabric conditioners and washing powders and liquids in moderation without upsetting the natural bio balance of the septic tank.
- Luckily all active ingredients in soap and detergents should be biodegradable by law and should be safe for septic tanks in normal use.
- Use bleaches and disinfectants – but please use them sparingly – as they can kill the friendly bacteria which make the septic tank work, its not all nasty in there.
For any further information or advice on your septic tank system please cal us on 0800 61 22 515.